Saturday, September 7, 2013

Syria

We are supposed to pray and fast on a particular day so that Obama does not go to war with Syria, or do anything of a military nature because of nerve gas useage over there.  My church has very specific plans for the praying part, but says nothing much at all about the fasting.  I struggle to get enought to eat each day so I can have energy to do what I need to do.  Fasting is not a very good idea for me.  Many people are in my shoes, or have no shoes, for that matter.  Fasting for them is kind of off-putting.  Many others eat too much and are not about to stop.  There is a reason they eat like they do.  Fasting won't appeal to them at all, nor make much headway.  I wish that my church had said something specific about a fasting plan for this one day.  Make it a suggestion.  It would give people a benchmark, something to reach for or ignore, but at least it is specific.  I don't think my church is very much into fasting.  We gave up the no meat Fridays a long time ago.  No one confesses that they failed to fast on Lenten days spcifically given over to fasting.  Food is power!

1 comment:

  1. The desire for power - food or money or influence - seems to be at the root of many problems in our world today.

    I am not the best authority, but I seem to recall there is a "senior discount" that lets people over a certain age off the hook from fasting. And, the new way of fasting lets people have one meal anyway. New fangled fasting just isn't the same anymore - hardly a sacrifice at all. Barely a discomfort.

    To make up for the lack of personal sacrifice, I suggest we pray twice as hard for peace in Syria and in all hearts everywhere.

    ReplyDelete