Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Why Me?

I have been in this Florida parish for only three weeks now, and people are already asking me to stay.  I recall that Jesus was popular at first too.  Look how he ended up.  Anyway, these people have a very good pastor and vicar, so I am not really needed here after the busy season is over.  Yet I don't know what it is they like about me.  My homilies are very short, one point, and not very deep at all.  I wish I were better, which would be longer too, but deeper.  I thought that I was going to become brilliant with age.  Age has come.  Brilliance, where are you?  It is nice to be liked while waiting for brilliance.

5 comments:

  1. "Evangelize, use words if you have to."
    You're brilliant.
    Thanks for all your good works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We accept you for what you are. You have a home here an accepted community. You have avoided the really cold winter. You avoided the opening of Trader Joe's on 29th St.
    now we have the best food shopping experience of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years we always hoped that it was Fr Terry's mass; Terry's short homily with a dash of humor and was personal, thoughtful and reflective. Well we miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but how many Sunday homilies have I listened to that I have not understood a word of the preacher's ramblings? Hundreds! Yours may be short but they always make you think and reflect. Could you hold a few classes and teach the priests to speak please, they are wasting their breath if they are not understood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes in Boulder the poor acoustics reverberate so that words are lost and some priests accents prevent the congregation from comprehending. Seems like a minor issue until you realize that a particular priest gave over a hundred Sunday homilies and we didn't hear one word he said! Was today's homily in English or Espanol? I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete