Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Importance


I used to not like saying weekday mass.  I was a priest who did not like saying mass!  I was too important for that.  I had a lot of important stuff to do.  As I got older I began to like saying mass more. I discovered that I was not so important.  Actually, I was the last to know.  People who put up with me in those earlier years surely got a lot of days off from purgatory.  I used to try to be loved by being important.  I now fit very well with what I do because my work is not earth shattering important.  I am not changing the church, society, or the culture.  Yes, I did have big ideas.  I accept not being important.  I am at ease with it.  I am working on "being ignored" now.  I find that I am not so much being ignored, but that I am isolating.  It is important to have some solitude, and personal time and space, but for me that easily slip into isolation.  I am working on that each day.  My list of "who has ignored me today" is much shorter than it used to be.  My list of "who did I approach and say hello to," is a bit longer.  So far, I don't think I bothered anyone's solitude.  How are you doing on "isolation?" "Self-importance?"

3 comments:

  1. Fr. Terry,
    We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon. I miss being at Mass at SHJ. I love that you love the words and the celebration of the Sacred Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think that I was special. It helped me overcome so many challenges. A therapist took away my special and helped me to blend in to things. Now I don't do so much. The things that would be special to me - Ijust think about. She was damaging so now I just blend in to things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You still wear your "Do not disturb" face except when you are pontificating on stage!

    ReplyDelete