Sunday, August 19, 2018

Trophies And Awards

There is a debate going on about giving awards to everyone simply for participation.  There are no losers, and for that matter, no winners.  The “for” side says that it enhances self-esteem.  The agin’ side says that it limits people pushing themselves.  Personally, I found that awarding the winners and those who do well, was a good thing.  One, it made the award special to me.  I saved all my running medals, gold, silver, bronze and put them on a board that I hung in my room for years.  Two, I found out what I was good at and what I was not good at, and the sense of failure, did not so much lower my self-esteem, as get me to give up what I was bad at, and go on to what I was good at.  I could not hit the curve ball, so I gave up baseball.  I took up cross-country running.  Failure was the indication to me to move on to something else.  No one is good at everything.  I think that self-esteem comes from doing what you do well, rather than from getting participation awards.  No one wants to hire and pay me for simply showing up and doing a so so job for the wage.

1 comment:

  1. When Ana was in 2nd or 3rd grade, she participated in Landsharks, a running team. One day the kids ran a long race where Ana came in dead last. Each kid went home with a medal that read “Champion.”

    The next day, Mark went to practice with Ana and returned it. He kindly explained that she had not earned a medal. He explained that by giving everyone the same medal, the accomplishment of the top finishers was diluted.

    It is a lesson the girls remember vividly and will probably pass on to their kids. Ana now focuses on aerospace, math and science where she has rightfully earned recognition and certificates that matter to her.

    ReplyDelete