Monday, August 13, 2018

We, Not Me

HOMILY, Sunday, August 12, 2018
John 6: 41-51
Someone reminded me that the first step of the twelve step recovery program begins with the word, “we” and not “me.”  The wisdom of “we” is that no one recovers alone, no one develops a spiritual life in isolation.  I have met people who say they do not drink or drug, but “don’t go to meetings anymore.”  It reminds me of many a Christian who wants there holy communion each week but is otherwise not much interested in anyone else in church or their neighborhood or place of work.  They interact when they need to, but otherwise tend to be judgmental, with a lack of kindness or compassion.  But that very holy communion was an act of friendship and bonding on the part of Christ.  “This is my body and blood” sounds like a rather intimate act.  I think that Jesus was about oneness amongst differences.  It is in community that we grow, learn acceptance, forgiveness, and compassion.  The Western brand of Institutioal religion tents to singularity.  The idea of “more” means that someone else will have less.  That is how it works out.  In recovery programs, people are always reaching out to be helpful to the person who is feeling “less recovered.”  The giving of time and self, gets people out of a bondage to self.  Bondage to self is a subtle foe.  It can show up in self-improvement programs, religion, even meditation when they all keep a person focused on self.  After I meditate, or go to the gym, or do a long run, stretch, I must ask myself, “Who might need some help today?”  If I am spiritually fit, God will show me the next right thing.  I need to be a “we” or I will be a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment