Saturday, August 26, 2023

Bondage To Self

One of the reasons that you go to a spiritual gathering, be it a meeting, church, prayer group, service to others, is to get out of yourself, get out of focusing on yourself.  Get your mind off of you.  it is not that one should never think of themself, but that when your are getting irritable, discontented and irascible, you probably are too self-focused.  Those moods generally do not lead to anything constructive.  When I pray, I most often try not to think about me and my problems.  Yes, I do ask God to help me be better person, but then that becomes God's job.  Mine is to then let go of focusing on my feeling and thoughts.  It is why meditation seems to help me to relax.  Afterwards, I seem to be more helpful and concerned about others, more at peace with a world that does not conform to my preferences.  I like meetings.   

2 comments: