Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Stillness

 People tell me that they cannot find this “stillness” that I talk about in prayer.  Where is it?  It is hidden…behind your busy mind.  This is why meditation speaks about trying to quiet the mind or ignore the mind.  The mind can stay busy but if we do not focus on thoughts, the past, the future, judging how I am doing at the moment, then the mind tends to slip out of the way of our focus.  Silence and stillness begin to appear.  They are always within us but eclipsed by busy, focused mind.  I don’t worry so much about getting still in physical posture, or just the right chair, cushion and bodily comfort.  A modicum of comfort is sufficient if I can get it.  Otherwise, I let the Power do the heavy lifting as I ignore my thoughts.  It gets easier overall with practice.  

1 comment: