Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Driving In the Dark

 In San Francisco, I run in the dark, at 5:00 AM before the traffic and pollution build up.  I wear a beacon light shining from my hat or cap, so that cars can see me as I run against the flow of traffic.  There are few cars on the city streets at this time.  But the ones out there are in a big hurry.  If they can find an open roadway with no traffic lights, the cars will go 60 miles an hour, in a city street zone.  And on quiet side streets, stop lights are optional for stopping on red.  I run defensively.  There are more bike lanes than there used to be and I can run against the flow of bike traffic so I see the bike coming and get out of their way.  Sidewalk running is for those who want knee and hip surgery later in life.  Cement and concrete is no good for running.  Blacktop streets are better.  Darkness has challenges in running and in prayer.  I learn by practice.  

1 comment:

  1. Makes me happy you're getting your run in, and even happier that you do it with a defensive mind set. ❤️ (Its how I drive and has been a useful tool.)

    ReplyDelete