Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ask For What?

Jesus says, "Ask and you will receive." What is it you ask for? Some people want answers. They want a religion that gives them answers to their questions. Catechism satisfies their minds and that intellectual certainty is enough for them. They mistake knowing something about God, with knowing God. God is much bigger than our answers. Mystics would go so far as to say that God is much smaller than our answers. God is. I want to know God beneath or beyond the mental answers, which are really only the thinking of particular groups or tribes. I want relationship such that I will love, be kind and compassionate with all people. I can be mean, unkind, uncharitable, gossipy and judgmental, but know my catechism and scripture quotes. Did this same Jesus not say, "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment