Friday, March 16, 2012

Confession Is Good

I have a running coach. He is very good at what he does. He gives me a plan based upon what he knows about me, my talent, age, and competitive temperament. When I am away from him, traveling in my work, I sometimes don't do what he counsels. I run several days in a row, or do speed work two days in a row. If I 'fess up, then he will know more about me and be better able to advise me. He knows that I will do more rather than less, that I am more competitive and foolish than he first thought. So he gives me a penance, if you will. This is to counter my foolish choices, so that I can improve but not get injured. If I lie, or hold back info from him then he cannot use his expertise on my specific personality and mentality.

Is it not the same with the spiritual life? Find a good advisor, someone with experience and good reputation. If you pick out some rookie cleric who has no experience and he/she gives you weird advice, well what did you expect? Once you find a good advisor, trainer in spiritual growth they can give you direction based upon your specific situation. When you stray, admit it to them. 'Fess up! The penance you get might go against the very instincts that led to your messing up in the first place. That is why it can be called a penance. If you are your own spiritual guide you might seek a second opinion. At least read a book about the paths.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about going back to confession. Know I need to but sometimes I want to hear what I want to hear so that makes it difficult. But you have encouraged me and off I go today. I only hope that I can experience a good advisor.

    ReplyDelete