Monday, March 12, 2012

My Body

I hear people say, "My body is my own." Is it? There is a story in the bible about a fellow who owned land and built a vineyard and then leased it out to tenants while he went on a journey. When time came for him to get some of the harvest, he sent his agents. The renters murdered or beat up the agents. Then they murdered the son of the owner. The renters thought that now the vineyard would be all theirs to do with it as they wanted. The owner came back and killed them. Bad news for people who believe they own something when in fact they are just renting.

So is my body my own? Or does it belong to the one who fashioned it and I am just renting or having use of it for a "lifetime." If I am renting, then I suspect the owner, the creator, wants some return for me being in this body. Like what return? Well, it seems that in some of the books of the bible God is Love. It is in both the Hebrew and New Testament. If God is Love, then maybe Love wants my body to be loving as the fruit of my growing and existing. If I use my body to be selfish, nasty, abusive to my body and to others, I suspect that I am not paying attention the the creator, nor am I bringing forth good fruit. As with the vineyard renters, this would not bode well for me. So maybe I cannot do whatever I want with my body. I only have it on loan. Are you bearing any fruit today for the owner of your body?

No comments:

Post a Comment