Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Expectations

I am standing in the kitchen of our San Francisco rectory this evening eating some light supper by myself.  I am upset.  Why?  There is no cook tonight.  She took the day off.  I expected someone to cook supper for me.  Next week I will be standing in the kitchen of a monastery in the evening eating some supper by myself.  I will not be upset.  Why?  There is never a cook for the evening meal in the monastery.  You are on your own.  Same scene in two different places, but I am upset in only one of the scenes.  Why?  Because in the rectory I expect a cook and in the monastery I do not expect a cook.

I am upset because of my expectations.  I am perfectly capable of fending for myself in a kitchen.  The cook is not the problem.  I am.  Maybe I should change?

1 comment:

  1. Bless you Father Terry,
    It reminds of the time I came home from a Saturday round of golf with some buddies, expecting to have a late dinner with my wife and kids.
    On the table was left a note:
    "Honey, you're late.
    We went out for pizza.
    Your dinner is in the dog!" Pheww

    ReplyDelete