Sunday, June 10, 2012

Share A Cup

Jesus was God, so we say.  But he saw himself as our friend and companion.  That is why he shared a cup with his friends/disciples at the Last Supper.  You share a cup with a friend.  Imagine God calling us friends and companions.  So what does institutional religion do?  It turns the cup into a "chalice." A special caste of person, ordained males, make God present.  God becomes very big and quite up there.  We become very small and quite down here.  Do you think God became one of us to have this be the result?  I like the idea of waking up in the morning and saying that God is my friend, my companion on the journey to become whole.  I don't care to wake up and think I am a piece of little less than nothing, a disappointment to God who has no hope for me and who therefore will ignore me.  Forget this idea of big God.  My God likes little friends.  God became little too.  Little is OK for God.

1 comment:

  1. Padre, if the Cathilic Church is interested in increasing their membership, I think you could lead the way!

    PL&B,
    stan

    ReplyDelete