Friday, January 24, 2014

Being Helpful

I heard something that makes sense to me.  When you do an act of kindness, be helpful to someone else, you are giving yourself a gift.  Say what?  Say you are selfish by habit. Selfish people are never at peace.  Then you reach out to help someone.  Don't you feel better doing it?  If you get resentful when helpful, you are still mired in selfishness.  The only way I have ever gotten out of selfishness is by being helpful.  I cannot judge for sure how helpful I was, but I feel better about me, and that is a gift to myself.  Anytime I have a chance to be helpful, I try to do so, while that habitually selfish voice/energy in me, called sin/bad habit, tells me to ignore the request for help.

2 comments:

  1. If I do something "helpful" in order for me to feel good, aren't I being selfish especially if I'm not sure that I am being helpful? Generally I'm not one to question motives. If some one does something helpful/good I am happy that they did so and if they feel good about it, so much the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't do it to feel good. You do it out of care or at least to get out of yourself and the result is that you feel better.

    ReplyDelete