Friday, January 31, 2014

Change

Baseball doesn't change much especially the National League which makes the pitcher come to bat.  Part of the charm and draw of baseball is that today's game can bring a person back to an earlier day when they had their first Wow! experiences of the game.  The lack of change is what keeps people connected with baseball year after year.  This is why I understand the people who want the old Latin Mass back.  They are trying to capture a religious experience that liturgy gave them years ago.  The vernacular does not do this for them.  If I went to a Latin Mass I know that it would recapture for me my early powerful experiences of being Catholic.  The vernacular can capture new experiences for me, but cannot connect with the old, the original.  So many other things in life change including the cathedrals of baseball, the ballparks.  But the game is still the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment