Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Lone Ranger

I love to hear The William Tell Overture.  Why?  My first experience of hearing it was when I listened to the radio program, The Lone Ranger and then watched it when it became a TV Show.  Each episode started out with The Lone Ranger riding his white horse, Silver, up a hill and when Silver stood on two hind feet and reached into the air, the Overture reached its peak.  I enjoy the Overture because I connect it to an experience that is precious to me.  I think it is the same with Jesus.  If I ask many a person if they are Catholic, they will say, yes, they were baptized, or they went to Catholic grade school.  But  I pick up no deep experience from those events/times, that reveal any significant relationship with Jesus.  Events happened but they remained relatively unaffected from a spiritual point.  I don't think any one stays involved in sacraments without an experience of Jesus that holds a deep place within them.  The experience is really the precious thing we have to share when we "share faith."  All else is book knowledge, catechism, philosophy, that may give some understanding to our experience, but cannot replace the experience.  It is not enough to believe in "real presence." It has to be an experience, a Wow, at least enough times to keep us coming back.  At least I have found it so.

4 comments:

  1. Father Terry, I am looking for that experience.. I mean, I want that experience so then I can say, "Yes, I absolutely, positively BELIEVE." Instead I feel a calling, a pulling, a mystery.. and I hope.
    Perhaps you can share a personal experience or two? -H

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pulling, the mystery, is very much in the realm of experience. Some people feel nothing. They can look at a star-filled night and say,"So what."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I have saved this one from NCR:
    http://ncronline.org/news/spirituality/one-gods-most-beautiful-names

    ReplyDelete