Friday, January 2, 2015

Touch

Christmas masses have a lot of people who generally do not go to church, or at least the church I am at.  They are at mass with family and friends.  They are respectful, but not particularly engaged in what is going on.  Then we come to the part where we say the Lord's Prayer and they reach out and take the hand of someone in their family or friend.  They smile and get animated.  They are "into it" as we say.  Even introverts like to touch their loved ones.  People want some sense of connection in worship and life.  They would like to get that in church.  They want to do something that makes them feel a part of.  Holding hands can do this, and you are praying at the same time.  This is one of the best parts of mass for people on Christmas.  It is better than my homily, which keeps my ego in check.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday's mass touched my heart in so many ways. Thank you very much for being there. The whole experience flowed with me since then. I feel so filled with gratitude for the ways I see this world blessed. And may The Lord bless and keep you and give you peace, Fr. Terry.

    ReplyDelete