Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Age Adjustments

The older the animal the more flavorful its meat.  But this is with water cooking not with fire.  Water, braising, brings out the good flavor that is in an older animal.  Fire was for the young.  It is the same with my prayer life.  I don't flavor my soul the same way I used to.  I pray a bit differently now than when I was young.  My fire prayer has moved to heated water prayer.  An example is that I kneel much less now.  I have old knees.  It is not so comfortable to kneel.  I pray more in a sitting or lying down position.  I talk less to God and am more quietly present than when I was younger.  This all brings out the flavor of my old soul.  I know a monk who does not even bother with choir anymore with the other monks.  His body cannot take it, but I think he has moved on as well in his prayer life.  I think he simply walks with God.  I am not yet there.  I stumble still, in more ways than one.  God is the cook.  Not to worry.

2 comments: