Sunday, May 31, 2015

Judgment

I have met many a person who has written off my Church because they think it narrow-thinking, reluctant to embrace new ideas, and generally ill-suited for the modern world.  I was reading a daily reflection book and was reminded that this same church invented universities and supported them, preserved works of Greek and Roman non-believers, built schools that served the poor gratis, commissioned great artists, and built Europe into a garden of grain and fruit. No doubt there are many a narrow-minded leader in my church, but overall we have a history of progress and preservation of wisdom.  I have seen people who walk away from recovery programs, social clubs, neighborhood associations simply because of a bad experience with someone.  Why let the people who are narrow-minded control your decisions?  No group is perfect.  No city has perfect weather.  But if something has been around for a few millennium, it might be doing something right.  Time tells.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. I think that the church says the same thing to me every Mass. "Do this in memory of me." Christ is here for us and that we are here to follow his lead. What is narrow ? Can be a bumpy road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... history of progress and preservation of wisdom."
    "... if something has been around for a few millennium..."

    What major religion can't say this?

    ReplyDelete