Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Tight Hip

I just took my first yoga class in thirty years.  The light went on when the teacher said the hips can hold a lot of messy memories.  Way back in the first week of June I went to my college 50th Jubilee reunion.  I thought I had a wonderful time, but I left with a very tight hip.  All summer it has been problematic.  I could not run.  Fast walking was an issue.  Therapy helped, but no cure.  On August 1, I was to teach a session on a particular mystic, talk about prayer, spiritual growth and the obstacles, and so forth.  I thought maybe my hip and back would be a problem with all that standing and teaching. After the morning was over, I realized that I never thought about my hip.  It never bothered me, and has been moving to healing ever since.  What happened?  College had some dark side to it for me.  I was not much of a student.  I did not apply myself.  I studied a lot, but not in areas that were meant for me.  I just did not have a plan or vision at that time.  I was a mediocre student.  Plus,  I lost two girlfriends due to bad behavior on my part.  I was immature and lost.  The Jubilee reunion was on that same campus packed with memories and feelings.  It all went to my hip.  Then, when I taught for the first time since the reunion,  two months later,I was where I am supposed to be, doing what I am meant to do.  I am a teacher of contemplative prayer, the mystics of this prayer.  My unique style calls upon my own ineptitude, and mistakes.  No one feels stupid or too sinful to approach this Way.  I come from a place of hunger,  emptiness, failure, and amazing grace.  All my life has turned into gift to be used to help others to find Love.  My God is unconditional love.  My God would have to be.  Even my sister Maureen is a gift.  Well, that might be a stretch.

1 comment:

  1. I like the vision - a twisted Father Terry - in a yoga pose, of course.

    ReplyDelete