Friday, August 14, 2015

Dumb Waiter

We had a dumb waiter in our Bronx apartment.  It is not a person.  It is a shaft that went from our kitchen down to the basement.  When the superintendent of the apartment building signaled us, my Mom would open the dumb waiter cabinet door and put the garbage on a ledge.  Then the super would lower the ledge to the basement and dispose of the garbage.  No one had to go out to garbage pails in the alleyway.  Originally, the use of such a device to be rid of dishes after dinner, and to receive cooked food, was so that people would not have to have servants watching and listening to them while they dined.  This was for the rich people in France, for instance.  That is how the name "dumb waiter" came to be used.  I guess people don't like to be watched.  We want our privacy.  But isn't there one who always watches?  God is always in our midst, many believe. Sometimes, when I am not on my best behavior, thinking I am alone, or with others being less than good, I try not to think of God being there too.  If God sees all, I hope there is a Divine short term memory issue.  Otherwise, Maureen will be right.  I will burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment