Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Results

Two people go on a contemplative prayer retreat.  At the end of the retreat, one says, "I am so disappointed.  I was bored, restless, full of gripping thoughts.  I meditated, but I don't think I did very well.  Maybe God has abandoned me!"  She goes home and finds a lot of domestic mess, job chaos developed while she was away, and people around her seem to be on bad behavior.  To all of it she has a serene disposition.  She is forgiving, nonjudgmental, kind and patient.  The other person on the retreat, says, " It was so wonderful.  I felt at peace in all my mediations.  God is transforming me.  I felt God's presence each day of meditation."  He goes home.  Nothing seems right to him at home or at work.  He is restless, judgmental, complaining, and angry.  Hmmm. Never judge your prayer by how it made you feel.  Rather, check the results in your everyday life.  Some people pray to feel good.  Some pray so that others might feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment