Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Ashes And Flowers

 Today is Valentine’s Day and Ash Wednesday.  So what to do if you are into both?  A dilemma!  You and your sweetheart getting all dress up for a dinner of bread and water while you have ashes on your foreheads?  For me, it is a good juxtaposition.  It brings together the giving and the getting of life.  Valentine’s Day for those who celebrate it is about getting something.  Sure, you give someone something, but it is because they give you something important to you, such as love. It does feed one’s ego for sure.  Lent is about giving.  You are to spend the next forty day or so in surrendering, giving up, being of service for the sake of those who may never give you a thank you.  It is about less and not more, the cross instead of the Easter Lilly.  So today, I will thank God for what I get, and then surrender some of my self for the sake of a better world.  A more selfless me benefits others.

No comments:

Post a Comment