Friday, February 2, 2024

Desert God

 For many people, the desert God is pointless.  There is nothing to do and no rules in the desert.  It is empty.  And it is not very homey.  Until you get used to the desert simply by spending time in it, the emptiness, the silence, the stillness and the night-like darkness is yucky.  No light.  Meditation can feel good pre-desert, but then the invitation to go deeper is when most people give up and move on to something more “tangible.”  Mind, imagination, emotions all get fed outside of the desert prayer.  But that is not all there is.  There is some deep place, some “heart” place.  If the invitation comes, enter into it.  God knows timing better than our ego.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm certainly not in charge of the timing but I show up everyday and am always grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have spent more time in deserts. It is too late now so I have to find my own desert inside myself.It is certainly an integral part of my journey.

    ReplyDelete