Monday, September 17, 2012

Moderation

Moderation is not in the DNA of addicted people.  It is something that has to be worked on everyday.  It is a bit like me trying to hit the curveball.  It is not natural to me to do so.  If I wanted to stay in the big leagues, I would have to work on this everyday.  So it is with moderation.  The effort can go astray sometimes.  A newly recovering person hears about an "approved" book that is suggested.  So they buy the book and begin to read it.  It helps.  Then they hear about another book.  They buy that and now they are reading two books each day.  It goes on like that until they are overwhelmed with their daily readings.  What to do?  There is no "Over Reading Anonymous" groups.  Whenever I have too many books on my table on spiritual guidance I am reminded that   there is no step that says,"There is a book greater than myself that will restore me to sanity."  At some point the book got in the way of the relationship.  I have by then become a good reader, but not a good listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment