Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Child of God

We Christians are called, "Children of God."  Galatians 4:7 says we are no longer slaves (to the law) but children.  As a slave, we have to do what we are told. There is no choice.  There is no practice of self-denial here.  As a child, or heir, if we are to do the will of God, it is by choice.  God won't force us.  When we have a choice, we have to deal with our own self-will.  We have to practice self-denial at times, that is, we do something in accord with God's will, even though we do not want to do it, or we find it inconvenient and irksome. 

I can do good when it makes me feel good, or when to do the bad would make me lose esteem in the face of others.  To do good when I have to deny myself something I want, or when I find it inconvenient or I don't get something out of it, this is when I am entering into transformation.  It is called, "taking up my cross."  Think about it when you make your New Year resolutions.  Most of us give up within days or weeks because we do not see or admit how weak, selfish, and self-willed we are.  I have found it to be so for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment