Friday, January 18, 2013

Feelings

I hear people say, "I feel fine," as in they don't need to do anything to maintain their emotional sobriety.  I have found that feelings about how we are doing emotionally are near sighted.  In the moment, I am OK.  If I don't work on emotional equilibrium each day, that "OK" feeling will end suddenly, to be followed by something not very good.  I don't wait until I feel a need to pray, or a need for some helpful instruction book, or gathering with friends.  By the time I feel the need, I will already have made a mess of the day, my life, other relationships.  Discipline trumps feelings every time for me.  Don't believe me?  Then do nothing the next time you feel "fine" upon waking up.  Learn the hard way.  I already did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment