Saturday, May 25, 2013

Boy Scouts

How many children know that they are gay?  They are still figuring it out.  Sexual orientation had nothing to do with boy scouts when I went through.  The issue that bothers me is about adult leaders.  I sense the old prejudice about gays and sex.  The fear is putting our children in the hands of leaders who are gay?  Won't these leaders try "stuff" with our children?  This prejudice can see gay people only in terms of physical sex and their being preoccupied with having sex.  I know it sounds weird.  But it is real.  Being a leader of scouts has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation.  I believe that one of my leaders on a jamboree was a drunk.  Our safety was in the hands of some guy who was drinking in his tent.  But he got a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment