Thursday, May 30, 2013

Limitations

I ran my once a year, if that, 10K race today.  I ran according to my strategy plan.  All went as I wanted, except that I did not run as fast as I thought I would.  In my mid 60s I could run this race about 6:30 faster.  Now I am 70.  I was ready to run.  I had a clear path all the time.  I did not have any nagging pain to hold me back.  I just did not run the pace I thought I would run.  I did not get tired late in the race and slow way down.  I just never ran real fast in the first place.  It felt fast.  Feelings can fool you.  The good news is that I don't feel miserable.  I am not whining.  I will run again next year.  I glorified God by my effort.  It was a very enjoyable day.  I enjoyed the race, not withstanding the effort it took.  I ran slow.  Limitations?  Aging?  It is nice to know that I am OK with me.  It makes running fun and not a dissapointment.  Oh!  It was really hot out there.  Does that slow one down?

3 comments:

  1. Just think 30 years ago in 1983 you ran the race in just over 36 minutes. A mean lean Terrance Ryan at the age of 40!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact is, you ran the Bolder Boulder!! At 70!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Father I used to shoot in the low 80's in golf when I was in my fifties. now at 61 I can not break 90, but I am having much more fun and i think my strategy and my swing are better. i just don't score as well. Keep on running and encouraging us youngsters!

    ReplyDelete