Friday, May 10, 2013

Post Modern Savior

The Savior language doesn't work like it used to.  "Jesus came to save us from our sins." Well, what if you don't feel particularly sinful, nor have guilt over your decisions?  Not much need for a savior here.  I grew up with sin and guilt.  It was never very far away.  Remorse and new resolutions would give me some relief, very temporary.  So it has taken me awhile to realize that people exist who can break one of the commandments, cheat, steal, lie, and selfishly use others, but feel no remorse or guilt.  They might say I have a "hangup" about it.  So I think that Incarnation is a better way to present my outlook on religion.  The Power, Source of Creation,  whatever, is not distant, and unconcerned, but in fact comes to live among us.  The Holy is Immanent.  It loves but does not coerce or try to frighten us.  Now sometimes I feel more guilty!  Why would I screw up with such nice God?  

No comments:

Post a Comment