Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ego or God's Glory?

I am getting to run a 10K race at altitude.  A 10K can be dreadful, as in L-O_N-G!  Now, if I run it for my ego, wanting to beat all my pals and anyone else my age, this is what happens.  Some time during the race, I will hurt.  My mind will then say that no one cares how I run.  I am miserable.  I will just slow down, and finish and never run this stupid race again.  I will feel hateful toward all the young, fat people who are beating me to the finish.   I will throw away anything I get in the mail that reminds me of my time or this race.  Run with the ego and you run to unhappiness.  On the other hand, if I run to the glory of God, then I do the best I can with my race strategy, accept the difficulties, inconveniences, surprises, knowing that God is being glorified by his creation,"me" running in this body, the one God gave me.  Attitude and goal can carry one a long way, even through a 10K.

4 comments:

  1. You go Fr. Terry! You are using the blessing of your body wisely(although sometimes painfully) but you are moving. If you were one of the Jewish people crossing the Red Sea you would be out in front! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to weekend. As you run and hurt and while, think of Snowmass on the horizon and how peaceful that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Job Father! Running for God's team! #1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 hour and 1 minute....(thereabouts)....And clearly in the top 12 - in fact #12....you made it into the "Apostle" category. Congratulations! I hope you don't throw your medal away - Under that gold wrapper there is really good chocolate. Thanks for the Saturday homily - I will try the race again next year with a better attitude. Oh - and no more leading us to believe you are just an average old guy who runs a bit...the secret is out. :>) Linda

    ReplyDelete