Friday, May 17, 2013

Tough Love

So a drug addict comes to the office and wants to whine.  I ask him when he went to his last meeting.  This interrupts his whining.  He had been clean for nine months, gone out a few days ago onto a drug, and announced that meetings were not working and he was miserable.  I told him to cut the whining, go to a meeting now, raise his hand and say honestly that he did not believe in the meetings.  Then shut up and let people help him.  One day at a time, I said, and get a sponsor.  He got up grumbling and walked out still talking.  I did not back down.  I came back into the office.  Moments later, he returned.  He did not whine or complain, but said he would go to a meeting and knew where it was.  He now only wanted confession.  I heard his confession.  He left. Sometimes we postpone what we know we have to do, so long as we find someone to listen to our whining.  I would be a mess today, if I had found that person in my past.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello Therе. I fоund your weblog using
    msn. Τhat is a very neatlу wгitten aгtiсlе.
    I will be sure to bookmark іt and rеturn to read more of yοur
    usеful informatіon. Thаnks for the post.
    I will certainlу rеturn.

    Нere is my blοg ... biteaucul.eu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonhoeffer said if a man came to him whining that his faith was weak and that is why he had not been to church, he was scolded and told to stop sinning and get back to church and stop all the foolish thinking...

    ReplyDelete