Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Super Stars

I was watching a professional basketball game recently.  I watch when it is the playoffs.  One of the players was being called a superman, the best, and so on.  Sports thrives on super hero personalities.  It is supposed to create fans.  Near the end of the game, the superman makes two bad passes, as in mistakes, and his team loses.  The media had a hard time with this.  They could not quite bring the super hero back to mere mortality.  It does not feed fan interest.  Had it been a mere mortal, some other lesser player, the media might have said, "choked," or "what was he doing on the court anyway?"  I see the same thing in organized religion.  I guess we need our heroes.  We don't like our leaders to mess up,  or be imperfect.  Why?  Because many "religious" people are simply followers.  They have to have someone better than them to follow, because what the leader often says, is something that is about as dumb as passing the basketball to the opposing team.  Mistakes happen.  The relationship in religion is with God, not the local official.  There are no losers in God relationships, only in human institutions and teams.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this
    website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
    you? Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks a lot

    My homepage - best product for male enhancement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok here is my problem with the church. I always find a superhero in a local priest like you or Fr Alan for example. Then you get reassigned and I have to figure out what it was that drew me to the local church to begin with. I miss your homilies.

    ReplyDelete