Sunday, May 18, 2014

Cell Phone Mind

Most of us have had our quiet interrupted by someone nearby who makes a cell phone call of no importance.  An example: Hello.  What are you up to?  Another example: Hello.  We are about to take off.  See you in a few weeks.  Does anyone care?  It is hard to tell.  But I have come to realize that I have a cell phone mind when it comes to prayer.  I get interrupted or side-tracked in my spiritual life by silly thoughts that have little import.  I wander off into inanity.  It is as if my cell phone mind calls itself to bring up some topic or question that has little importance, if any.  Where is the off switch?  There are days, or hours when I seem to be "on" and receiving mental calls all the time.  When those days come to an end, I realize that my wannabe spiritual life of the early morning never materialized.  I hope I don't burn for this.  My sister Maureen was less optimistic about my chances to escape the flames.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, The pessimism of the Irish Catholic Tradition!
    Where did it originate?
    Perhaps centuries of oppression by invaders taught us that we were the underdogs, equally scorned by God, worthy only of shame and guilt.

    Admittedly, there is an element of hubris to the Irish temperament that needs taming. After all, it's said that God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world, just as He destroyed the Tower of Babel and left the builders confused with different languages.
    I don't think it is the exclusive property of the Irish, as evidenced in the daily news.

    Well, this humble fellow of good Irish and German stock is out to conquer the world following the guiding admonitions found in Matthew 5 - 7, regarding Service to our fellow man.

    If I but share one smile today, it has been a good day.

    It is already an EXCELLENT day!

    Thank you for your service, Terry.

    ReplyDelete