Saturday, May 24, 2014

What Is Your Spinach?

Popeye, the cartoon, was a normal person with human weaknesses.  Then there would be a crisis.  The crisis or threat seemed to be winning.  Then Popeye downed a can of spinach.  He suddenly had super powers that allowed him to overcome the crisis.  Usually, it was love for another, Olive Oil, in this case, that got Popeye to access his spinach.  So what is your spinach?  What energizes you to be the best that you can be, all that God called you to be in a time of crisis?  For some people, their spinach is the misuse of drugs and alcohol.  It does change them, but not for the better.  For me, meditation, some silence and stillness helps, is my spinach, and if I wait for the crisis before going to my spinach, disaster results.  Popeye could skip his spinach day after day.  He only needed it when mess happened.  I cannot wait for the mess.  It lurks.  So I take a daily dose of my meditation, and I am more prepared.  When I can do it out of love rather than desperation or fear or routine, than I am truly ready for the Bluto situations of life. My sister, Maureen, did not like spinach.  Neither did Bluto.  Come to think of it, she reminds me a bit of Bluto!  Who is Bluto?  Were you deprived of the "Funny papers" when you were growing up?  

No comments:

Post a Comment