Monday, May 19, 2014

Nederland

I accepted a mass in a mountain community about 8000 altitude.  But it was May when there would be Springtime temperatures, right?  Wrong.  Lots of snow was expected.  My car is not good for the snow.  I could have waited until the last minute and if it did in fact snow, just call the Deacon and tell him to do a communion service.  That happens at times.  But I had an inkling to try and find a way to assure I get there.  A Hummer!  A friend of mine agreed to drive me up in his Hummer which goes through any weather.  Plus I get a heated seat.  Heaven is when you get a heated seat in a car.  Sunday came and it did snow in the mountains.  The Hummer got us there on time.  Surprise!  It was First Communion for five children, all dressed for such an important event in their lives. No one told me.  I found out when I looked at the program in the back of the church.  My prepared sermon was prime time for this event.  I scrambled and babbled out something for the children.  Forgettable words I am sure.  But what if I had not come to the church at all?  What a disaster to have no mass for First Communion in our tradition. In spite of my sins and mediocrity, God can get things done through me.  Never give up on God using you for good.  God's power can win out over my powerlessness.  Oh, and it was Mother's Day too.

1 comment:

  1. Great story. 1st communion is so important. Glad you made it. Tom

    ReplyDelete