Friday, December 12, 2014

Bobby Keys

He was a Rock and Roll saxophone player with the Rolling Stones and other well known bands.  I read his obit in a local San Francisco paper.  It was a bit boring.  He had a heroin habit, not of interest to me.  But the NYT obit really attracted me.  This guy lived a pretty wild life.  Part of me wanted to be him!  He was born the same year as I was.  I must have a lot of wild in me.  Why don't I get attracted to reading obits about holy people?  An obit on Francis of Assisi would not interest me.  He was unusual but not attractive to any way I would want to live.  I think if you notice the obits you find you like to read, you will know something of yourself.  Why God would want a person like me with so much "wild potential" to be priest, is at times a mystery.  But I am grateful nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. I guess it's one of those faith things. You're just going to have to believe that God does"t make mistakes. We're going to have to rejoice that you listened to God's calling.

    Truly wonderful that we all were brought together by God through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the Irish in you :-)

    ReplyDelete