Thursday, December 25, 2014

Simon

Simon and his parents were traveling through Bethlehem on the way home.  They stopped overnight for rest.  Simon, being a little boy, went out to explore the near countryside.  Suddenly he saw the wicked witch, Maureen, who flew about the countryside preventing nice things and causing misery for people, especially little boys.  "Are you happy, you little worm?" the witch asked Simon.  "Yes, I am happy that I am not as ugly as you," he replied.  Simon was still too small to know it was bad form to tell witches they were ugly.  With that Maureen turned Simon into a lamb.  "Take that, you miserable child," Maureen gloated.  "I heard that a special little baby was going to be born here, who would do good, so I came to spread wicked magic so he would become an evil person," she snarled. With that she flew around the Inn and placed a spell on it, to prevent a baby being born who would do good.  Then off she flew.  Poor Simon.  His parents looked everywhere for him, and found only a pesky lamb chasing after them.   Finally, they left for home, without Simon.
      Simon slept in the stable and roamed the fields finding this and that to eat.  One night he came back to the stable and found a baby lying in the manger where before there had been food or drink.  A young girl was sleeping next to the baby and a man was watching over them.  Out of curiosity Simon walked up to the manger and nuzzled the baby.  The baby reached out and touch Simon's lamb nose.  Suddenly, Simon turned back into a little boy!  He was overjoyed!  The man watched intently, like he had seen miracles before, and then closed his eyes as if he were praying.  The man opened his eyes, and asked, "Where is your family?"  Simon answered, "They went back to Cyrene, our home, without me because a wicked witch turned me into a lamb.  Can you help me, Sir?"  The man said, "Wait here and watch my family while I make inquiries at the Inn to see if anyone is going to Cyrene."  Simon watched over the baby and the young girl.  The man came back with someone who was going to Cyrene and would take Simon with him back to his parents.  As Simon left the barn, he noticed some shepherds coming along towards the barn.  There were no sheep with them.  In time Simon got home to Cyrene, and grew up, but never forgot the baby. Years later Simon was to go to Jerusalem. There, unbeknowst to him, he was to do a kindness for that baby now grown up.  God is always at work for good, even when we are unaware, or when bad things seem to be happening.


3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Fr. Terry. Our family loved your Family Christmas mass yesterday.
    Ever Blessing to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Terry, I find your writing so entertaining - but I'm always afraid the church "boogiemen"will take a look and say - off with his head, or pen, computer, or something. I guess I never knew it was OK to mix Maureen, or oops I mean witches, into Bible stories. I'm afraid the fairies have jumbled my head and I might be crossing the line, but I'm befuddled and don't exactly know - just that I'm worried to lose you as a voice I respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ending reminds me of another writer: All shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    ReplyDelete