Thursday, July 9, 2015

Being Nice

I remember being in love with a young lady once.  I tried to be nice on a regular basis, writing poetry and love letters, when not together.  She dumped me.  It was a bit puzzling to figure it all out.  Be nice.  Get dumped.  We were bad sometimes too.  This is easy for two Catholics who are in love but not married.  Our church does not cut much slack.  So I thought that I might change.  Try not to be bad, but also not to be too nice.  But I had no models to follow.  I did not know guys who practiced both those behaviors at the same time.  Women are confusing.  Do they not like nice?  I was young and could not fathom the feminine.  I thought that God was easier to understand and God is supposed to be "Unknowable."  I mean, God loves me unconditionally and never abandons me.  That is easy to understand and like.  But come to think of it, I know this, but I abandon God on a regular basis!  God is nice and I dump God.  I will blame my old girlfriend for teaching me this!  

1 comment:

  1. I remember spending a lot of time in the confessional when I was young-----Had to time a kiss's length to determine venial or mortal sin. Hard to kiss with a stopwatch in your hand. Never occurred to us just don't kiss. Madness!! Being the girl, it was all my responsibility because boys couldn't help themselves. Gets you off the hook----maybe they didn't tell the boys that!

    ReplyDelete