Thursday, July 16, 2015

One Good Deed

I have an example of the coming nuclear winter.  It is early July.  Last night it snowed in the mountain above our monastery here in Colorado.  I have never seen snow in July.  I have been coming here for twelve summers.  Nuclear winter is with us.  Then a monk said that he had seen snow in July some time ago, before I began coming here.  Oh.  Last night's snow is an isolated instance, not a trend.  One snow does not make nuclear winter.  Nor does one good deed make a good person.  My sister, Maureen, used to say that I was no good.  So I would do a good deed and say, "See, Maureen, I am good."  "No," she would say.  "One good deed does not make you a good boy.  You are still a rotten kid."  I countered, "But, one good deed is a start."  "Hmm," she replied.  So do a good deed today, especially if you are not feeling so good about yourself.  It could turn around your day, pick up your spirits.  Oh.  Don't wait for a compliment from anyone.  Those around you might be in a somewhat permanent nuclear winter mood.  "Hmm!"

4 comments:

  1. I remember snow on the 4th. It would be a good deed if you returned to Boulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard there is another good preacher added to SHJ this summer. So I am not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here.

      Delete
    2. I think that when you return to the Republic, you will be spiritually refreshed and underfed.This seems to give you a great edge for your homilies and retreats.
      Miss you, the summer is flying!!!

      Delete