Sunday, July 5, 2015

Kissing

When I started college I was supposed to be entering upon the intellectually uplifting world of a Jesuit Renaissance Education.  We had a very good library with several levels stacked with books down long corridors.  I spent time among those stacks in my freshman year.  I was kissing my girlfriend there in the afternoons after she finished her high school day and came down to Fordham with my roommate's girlfriend.  I was in one aisle stacked with books,  with my girlfriend, and he was in another aisle.  I was in love and love was more important than learning.  I think that I was better at kissing than learning.  I was not particularly bright and did not get stellar grades in college.  I was average.  But the queen of my junior prom and senior prom were my dates who I was dating and kissing.  Sometimes I wonder if God really wanted me to be a priest.  I mean why would I have one singular talent, and then become a priest, and not a very holy one at that.  I went back to Fordham recently, fifty years after graduation.  They had tried to erase my time and place of lust and love.  They had removed the stacks from the old library and made it into some meeting rooms.  They cannot erase the memories.  Some things are timeless.   Do you think I will at least make it to purgatory?

1 comment:

  1. Did any of your lady or old girl friends show up for the
    re-union?

    ReplyDelete