Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Socks

Why do people hang Christmas socks over the fireplace in preparation for Santa?  Well, it comes from the days when the poor would wash there socks and then hang them over the fireplace so that they would dry overnight.  The original Santa. a Bishop named Nicholas, way back when, would drop money through the chimney or toss coins through the window that would land in the socks.  Nick must have had good control with that toss.  I am trying to be very good this year.  One can only hope.  When I was a little boy growing up with my sister Maureen, Santa would always fill my sock at Christmas.  He would fill Maureen's sock too.  She said I was bad, and I thought she was bossy, but Santa had a second opinion.  There are a lot more people around now than when I was a boy, so maybe Santa runs out of stuff before he gets to me.  If your stocking is full, I could use something in mine. G.K. Chesterton reminds us that the greatest gift in our stocking is ourself!  We are a gift.  So let’s attitude up and act as a gift in the lives of those around us.  Be kind, patient, accepting, helpful, and generous with a listening ear.  This will the gift of ourselves to others on Christmas Eve and Day.   Oh, and if you watch the movie, “A Christmas Carol,” look for the 1951 version.  I think it was the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment