Saturday, May 2, 2020

Attention

The root for the word, “Attention” is ad-tendere, that is, to stretch toward. My spiritual practice is to help me to stretch toward, rather than pass by, or simply notice.  If I walk into a room on the way to some destination, and I “see” someone, how do I “see” them?  If I say, hello as I am walking by, and then “how are you” as I continue on to my destination, then I am not giving them any attention. But I if stop when I say hello, and ask how they are, and stand there to actually listen with an open heart, then I am stretching toward, them, paying that person attention.  I am open to engaging them in their life.  Generally, people expect a lot less, because when I do this, but don’t move on, they look at me as if I want something.  They might ask, “Can I help you?” Or “Is something the matter?” People expect little from one another, I guess.  Or we pay so much attention to the task/work at hand that their in nothing left over for one another.   But paying attention has to start someplace, so why not with me.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Father Ryan. Thank you for this. With the social distance currently going on, I have found asking (phone/email/text) people what their "rose and a thorn'" are or has been creates an opening for reaching out and listening more deeply. :) I have my son's 2nd grade teacher to thank for this!

    ReplyDelete