Sunday, May 17, 2020

Who Is Listening?

A problem with my church is that because it is hierarchical, that is run from the top down, there is not very much listening or willingness to change.  The hierarchy simple says this is the way we did it in the past, this is what we believe from the past, and so case closed.  The past has a value, otherwise you have no tradition and no continuity.  Ford makes cars, but they don’t still make the Model-T.  My church has basic beliefs, but has to find new ways to express and live them out as culture and scientific knowledge develops/changes.  A good conversation is where I am willing to listen and open to change.  But if I am the boss and everyone else around or beneath me has no power, or none of consequence, then the impetus to listen or change is truly diminished.  The laity job is to basically pay for things.  If you don’t finance your parish, the hierarchy will close it, or merge it.  Simple.  I don’t think my church will fade away but I do think we will become much less influential in this changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment