Saturday, May 23, 2020

Rachel Evans

I was reading about a Tennessee woman named Rachel Evans.  She thought that if the Bible did not trouble you, it is because you probably have not read it.  So if you were a bible reader then your church should be a safe place where you are not comfortable.  Most of us, if we want a church or group at all, we want one that is both safe and comfortable.  Who grows or is challenged by comfortable?  Comfort means that everyone agrees with you, looks like you, the preacher says what appeals to this comfort, and you leave unchanged, unchallenged.  I hear people in recovery rooms wanting to feel comfortable.  They don’t want to be pressed to change, get to the edges of growth, by someone in the room who actually reads and studies the Big Book on a daily basis.  I am always challenged when someone reads to me some understanding or passages from the Hebrew Scriptures that challenges my comfort zone.  The Big Book as well, though they go on my resentment list first before I can accept the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Without change there would be no butterflies...

    ReplyDelete