Saturday, May 9, 2020

Plans Change

I have become the priest I thought I would never be, the one who does not do what other priests will do.  I always prided myself on doing what the more orthodox priests preferred not to do.  I would work with people on the periphery of the rules, the ones on the outer edges of religious practice, the unorthodox. I was accommodating.  The virus and fear has changed me, but I hope it is opening up something new that is yet to appear.  I am among the old, and have had pneumonia twice in this century.  So I avoid crowds, ceremonies, groups of people.  That is, I don’t do the weddings, funerals, big ceremonies to which I used to say “yes.”  I have become the guy who does not accommodate.  I am uneasy with this at the moment.  I will go off to the monastery soon and be in quarantine because they are in lockdown mode.  Their youngest monk is almost 70.  In quarantine, I won’t have access to Wi-Fi.  I don’t know if my blog will show up in your email or my blogspot.  Certainly it will not be on Facebook unless I put it there using Wi-Fi.  So soon, I will disappear for a couple of weeks, into silence and stillness.  When quarantine is over, I may have discovered something about myself that will put me onto some other path even in my senior years.  So don’t be expecting return phone calls, emails, and requests to do this and that.  And skip messenger.  I never use it.  Until then.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Father Ryan, I will miss you for the next few weeks. At first read, I took this as goodbye but after the third read it is a reminder that until then, means just that. I don't have to jump on the fear train that has arrived, like I used to do. I can only control my reaction and breathing. So, I want you to know that I will be sending you love and keeping you in my prayers across the miles. With every sunrise and sunset, please know that you are in my heart and you are missed. I hope this new adventure is exactly as it should be. I have nothing but gratitude for you, being you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. XO and chocolate :) A faithful reader and fan, who hopes you don't forget your tap shoes. ;) Until then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Aaron is in his 60s??? I didn't think he was older than me (I turn 60 tomorrow). I will pray for you. I remember seeing you when I was up there 2 years ago. Stay safe and Tell Brother Thomas hello from Brenda Pierson in Longmont. I haven't heard anything on him so I hope he's still among us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you. Meditation is so needed to become one with God, for all of us! Maybe it’s time for most of us to go into silence for a couple of weeks! Looking forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will certainly miss your wonderful blogs! Hopefully we will see them again soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is scary, your 26days younger than me and going into isolation. I'm coming out of quarantine, resuming my role as SacriStan. Let's pray that we may truly do God's will with wisdom and perception. I love you Man!

    ReplyDelete