Thursday, September 17, 2020

Knot First

 When I was taught to sew one of the first things I was shown is that I must make a knot in one end of the thread before I actually do any sewing.  If no knot, then the needle and thread goes right through the garment, and out the other end.  Nothing is sewn together.  I look like I am sewing, but nothing gets mended or sewn together.  So it is with my spiritual life, my teaching, preaching, living in a monastery.  If I just talk about something good, like being selfless, being of service, letting go of self-will run riot, pray in choir, but in fact don't really practice what I am saying or singing, then I am getting nowhere, like someone who tries to sew without making a knot first in the thread.  The inner work, the examination of conscience, working on relationships with God and others, learning to listen and let go of me as a center of the universe are what makes the knot in the thread.  Of course, if you don't know how to sew, I suggest, only suggest, that you learn.  It may improve your potential to be a good marriage partner, or live in companion.  It did not help me, but I have so much inner work to do!  Gotta go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment