Saturday, December 25, 2021

Merry Christmas!

It is very early in the morning now and I am just out of bed, getting ready for our Vigil prayers in the darkness of the chapel.  Like a good child, I went to sleep last night, trusting and hoping that Santa would not pass our monastery by in these remote mountains.  I hung my empty red stocking up downstairs before I went to bed.  I have hope that Santa left me something.  But no matter what, I intend to have a good day.  Why?  Because it is not up to others to make my day good for me.  It is not their job.  Like Santa, they might have other priorities, and thinking about me and my serenity is not in their purview.  Serenity, peace and joy is my job, and I no longer try to do it alone.  I have a Power that today shows its presence in a manger as a baby.  What a gift.  Never alone.  

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Father Ryan! I couldn't agree more, not being alone is the best gift in the world. For that in itself is more than I used to dream about. Thank you for teaching me about Love as a verb and to cherish what I call the "little big things" such as spontaneous laughter and smiles to strangers. Wishing you a day of joy, love,and serenity...and a hug across the miles too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “When I ‘find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.”
    Paul McCarthy
    Thanks for your words of wisdom Father Terry

    ReplyDelete