Wednesday, April 6, 2022

A Bad Day

Someone said to me one day, "I am having a bad day.  My job, my partner, my home, does not make me happy.  I am done with this recovery business and spiritual path stuff.  I am going back to a drink."  I looked at the person and asked, "Is this day worse than the day you began recovery and stopped drinking?"  I could see the person pondering this question.  So I added, "When you began recovery, you had no job, no relationship, and no home.  Maybe you are suffering from unmet expectations?"  So if you are trying to be on some spiritual path, some prayer/meditation practice, and you are having a bad day, ask yourself if maybe you might be suffering from unmet expectations.  In which case, oblivion is not the solution.   

1 comment:

  1. Truer words nor better questions posed. Nothing is so bad that drinking cannot make it worse. I'm so glad you were there to be a channel for God. :)

    ReplyDelete