Sunday, April 3, 2022

Two Sides To One Coin

 Sometimes I over-react to a slight misstep by someone else.  What they did was minor.  My response was major.  I might not say anything, but walk away and get an inner rage about what they did to me.  One the one hand I am resentful, but the other side of the coin is that I am feeling sorry for myself.  Self-pity reigns.  "How could they do this to me?" and so on.  One time after some event brought on my resentment and self-pity, I went for a run, muttering to myself and planning my response to the "offending" person.  The incident ruled my life until I jumped into the shower, still muttering.  Suddenly, the hot water turned cold.  The emotional binge of the earlier event evaporated.  It was no one's fault that the shower turned cold.  It happens.  I waited for the water to turn hot again and finished my shower.  The earlier incident and my emotional binge were gone.  I guess it was not all that important, unless you are crazy.  Maybe cold showers are an answer?  I try not to make more of something than it really is.  Except when I am the center of the universe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment